Working Group 3
Marine Conservation and Biological Invasions
The objectives of this WG are (1) to offer methodological approaches and tools for designing networks of MPAs that are more resilient to biological invasions, and (2) to propose management actions to mitigate the impacts of invasive species on biodiversity and ecosystem services.
- T3.1 Global review of ways biological invasions are taken into account in conservation planning. The review will span all three realms (terrestrial, freshwater, and marine) and will investigate if approaches applied in the terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems can be adapted to the marine environment.
- T3.2 Development of a methodological framework to effectively account for biological invasions in conservation planning.
- T3.3 Proposal of specific management actions to mitigate the impacts of the most invasive marine alien species in European and contiguous waters.
- Three workshops to organize the work of the group. In these workshops a mixture of expertise will be pursued, including experts on conservation planning, experts on biological invasions, and managers of MPAs.
- Dissemination of the WG results through scientific papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals and presentations in major conferences.
- Encouragement of young researchers to participate in the tasks of the WG, especially T3.3, by conducting Short-Term Scientific Missions (STSMs) in affiliated institutes or MPAs aiming to study ways to control specific invasive species and to mitigate their negative impacts.
- M3.1 Workshop to organize a global review of approaches used in conservation planning to tackle biological invasions (year 1).
- M3.2 Two workshops investigating ways to control invasive species in the marine environment and aiming to produce a roadmap for the mitigation of the impacts of the most invasive marine alien species in Europe (years 2 and 3).
- D3.1 A paper proposing methodological approaches and tools for conservation planning in order to reduce risks from biological invasions.
- D3.2 A paper on management actions to mitigate the impacts of invasive species on native biodiversity and ecosystem services.